Food additives suppress immune system
For those that have been additive free for many years, have you noticed that you rarely get sick? Did you know that food additives can actually suppress the immune system? The reason why you don’t get sick as often may actually be due to the reduction of additives in your diet!
My lovely friends Sue and Howard Dengate from the Food Intolerance network recently shared scientific studies that show additives can be immunosuppressants.
Let’s take a look at the studies that are showing additives suppress our immune system
1. A Greek study – (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9467198) showed Tartrazine (102) and Amaranth (123) to suppressing the immune system.
Human peripheral blood lymphocytes (PBL) were tested for immunosuppressive effects of food colourings such as amaranth (123) and tartrazine (102). The results showed clear immunosuppressive effects from these 2 substances that were tested.
These food colours Tartrazine (102) and Amaranth (123) are often found in drinks, confectionery, fruit juice, ice cream, jam, wine based drinks caused a suppression of the immune system.
2) Brazilian study – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9857112 showed Propionic acid (280) linked to immunosuppression.
Propionic acid is a common preservative often found in bread products (may be derived from bacteria, synthetic or petroleum).
This study investigated the effects of propionate on cellular growth of human peripheral lymphocytes. The study concluded, propionic acid, which can accumulate in the tissues of patients causes ‘in vitro’ immunosuppression.
3) Indian study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26706697 showed a common preservative, sodium benzoate (211) widely used due to its bacteriostatic and fungistatic properties was linked to suppression of the immune system.
Sodium Benzoate is often found in fruit juice, jam, pickles and soft drink and is derived from petroleum.
How often does your family get sick?
I look back over the last decade and see the difference in our health since we went additive free:
– our asthmatic symptoms have disappeared
– our hayfever symptoms gone – I used to have to have anti histamines on a daily basis for months at a time
– our ability to withstand colds and flus is amazing. If someone does come down with something in the family, the symptoms are very short lived (usually bouncing back within 24 hours)
Is it time to look at how many additives are in your diet?
By removing these additives from your diet, you may witness amazing changes to your health. Our RESETTERS (those that have participated in our 6 week coaching program are already seeing amazing changes).
These changes won’t happen immediately.
The immune system will need to develop and build up over time.
If you or your family members are suffering from recurrent sickness and infections, perhaps it is time to review the amount of additives in your diet?
If you would like one on one help with this, feel free to send me an email at email@example.com. Or, if you would prefer to learn about additives in a group setting with some personalised fast tracking from me, check out our RESET course.
Frankie Bell is the Managing Director of Additive Free Kids, a food coach, mentor and is one of Australia’s leading activists against additives in foods.
Frankie is a mum to 5 boys and has personal experience working through the damaging effects of additives to resolve the multiple health issues and behavioural problems in her own children. It became Frankie’s purpose to help other families achieve the same improvements for their families.
These changes can be overwhelming, especially for time poor parents, Frankie has done all the hard work for families to ensure they have access to additive free food, anytime, anywhere. Additive Free Kids specialises in assisting families to live healthy lives free from additives.